
Every once in a while a cache pops up on the radar that leaves an indelible impression. “Whale’s Spout” was definitely one of these. Not because it was particularly hard to find but because of the challenge presented to my old decreped and handicapped body. But I’m getting ahead of myself.
When this cache was published I took one quick look at the map and knew exactly where it was and how to get to it. It was in Brandy Territory. Before Brandy (our golden retriever) died, she and I spent many hours wandering around the hills between Reno and Virginia City. Many times I would find an out-of the-way place on top of a hill and read a book while she ran around and explored. Even though I couldn’t see her most of the time, I knew she could see me and she never ventured too far, always coming back for a drink of water and to tell me with those big brown eyes what a great time she was having. Her final resting place is about a mile from “Whale’s Spout”.
So I knew where it was and how to get there.
The first time we arrived at “Whale’s Spout” we knew exactly where the cache was located. Cynthia groaned and I got all giddy because I really like climbing rocks. Once there I could stand on one large rock and see the cache on another larger rock. Unfortunately there was a large space between rocks, too large for an old man with only one good ankle to jump across. The rock with the cache was huge and had few if any real hand grips and foot holds. At least nothing arthritic hands and fingers could get a hold of. I was left with only one option...I had to think. Fortunately, I can still do that.
As I slowly circled the rock, a plan started forming. If I could tie off a rope on one side and throw it over to the opposite side I might be able to “walk” up the side of the rock while pulling myself hand over hand up the rope. So I went back to the Jeep and dug out a tow strap and carried it back to the Spout. I tied it off and threw it over the rock. After a few failed throws I managed to place the strap where I needed it. Then I walked around to the other side and discovered that the strap was about five feet short. And besides, REALLY! What gave me the idea I could walk up a rock anyway! I had to think some more. But it was really cold and the wind was blowing so I decided I could think better at home with a glass of wine.
While I was thinking other geocachers found it and posted their stories. Some just hopped across from one rock to the other. Others scrambled up the Spout commenting about how smooth it was. One cacher even did it in a hail storm and almost slipped off the side of the Spout. When I was young and stupid I did stupid things too and now look at me. Still thinking.
I had all kinds of great ideas and visited Home Depot several times. I was prepared to spend whatever time and money necessary to get on top of that rock. But reason and good sense finally prevailed and when the weather improved I put Cynthia and a ladder in the Brandy truck (Cynthia got to sit up front) and we returned to the Spout.
I’m happy to report that it worked but I have yet to admit that I was the only one that used a ladder. I posted a note after the first attempt and another when we finally signed the log. Here they are.
April 28, 2008
Ahoy, Mateys! Call me Ahab. ARR! I’ve sailed these seas fer many a yearrr so the route was clear. Shiver me timbers! Me 'n' me trusty hands boarrrded GeoJeep 'n' sailed a circuitous voyage ta the treasure. At the end o' the journey we spied the beast 'n' I gave the order ta heave to. We climbed ta the crow's nest 'n' handsomeley found the cache, but blow me down! The beast’s hide was absent barrrnacles 'n' I couldn’t gain no purchase. I tried riggin' lines over the beast 'n' pullin' meself up onto its spout but the wind she was a blowin' 'n' me crew was a shivern’ so I surrendered. Arrrrrrrr! I’ll be back!!
May 30, 2008
Ahoy me mateys! I be back with me hearty crew. Arrrrr! And dis time I brung riggin t’ help git me ole carcass t’ the top. Me crew she did steady the riggin’ and hold me true and I made it t’ the top and snagged the booty. Blimy, thanks for the fun and adventure!
1 comment:
What a mighty beast to tame.
Congrats!
Post a Comment