Wednesday, September 17, 2008

WARNING: Bridge out ahead!

Last weekend we decided that it was time to spend the day caching in the Fallon area. Every time we go there we can expect at least one adventure and this time was no exception. “WARNING: Bridge out ahead!”, GC10WEF, has been around for awhile but...well, honesty, the terrain rating of 5 and the description gave us pause. Not that we’re wusses mind you, it’s just that we always planned on doing this cache when there was another vehicle around to pull us out of the water if we got stuck. That’s what we told each other anyway. What we learned is that sometimes you just have to go for it and see what happens. Who knows, you just might have fun.

We did, however, use some sense and wait for a day in the middle of a dry summer. I know that doesn’t necessary make a difference when you’re talking about an irrigation stream but that was the plan nonetheless. When we arrived at the stream we were pleased to find the water relatively shallow. I got out of GeoJeep, grabbed a walking stick and ventured out into the water testing the depth and firmness of the bottom. I discovered that if, after entering the stream, I hugged the west side of the stream and made a 90 degree turn at the exit point we had a good chance of not getting stuck. GeoJeepette noted that if we didn’t make it we could use the trees on the opposite bank to winch us out. Good plan! The problem was there were no similar helpful trees for the return trip. But let’s worry about that later.

I got back into GeoJeep, made sure it was in four wheel drive and headed down the stream bank. Once in the water I hugged the west bank as planned and when the exit point was almost to my right I turned GeoJeep and crossed through the deepest and muddiest part of the stream. I instinctively gave it more gas and felt the tires begin to slip but it was too late to turn around so I just let GeoJeep go. And I’ll be damned, we made it! We looked at each other and grinned with relief. Before we continued on the the cache we noticed some cows nearby but didn’t give them much thought...the cache was, afterall, calling our names. We did eventually find the cache but that’s not important to the story.

On the return trip we didn’t even hesitate. GeoJeep plunged into the stream, barreled across to the other side, turn left and hugged the west bank until exiting. Somewhere during that crossing I had an idea, let’s do it again but this time GeoJeepette will stay behind and make a movie of the crossing. Cool! After making sure we/she knew how to record a movie on our digital camera I gladly plunged back into the stream again, turned around on the other side (there were those cows again) and crossed the stream again making sure the waves and splashs were as spectacular as possible. Back on the west side we were anxious to see what GeoJeepette recorded. Much to our surprise there was nothing recorded. Ah shucks! I’ll just have to do it again! Rats!

Before I turned around GeoJeepette pointed out that more cows had arrived on both sides of the stream and they were mooing constantly. That seemed rather odd but it didn’t stop me from making another round trip through the stream. This time we succeeded in recording the crossings and while we were watching the movie the cows seemed to become even more loud and obnoxious. I joked that they were discussing my performance and were deciding amoungst themselves how they should score my technical skill.


In reality they were just really thirsty and irritated that this Jeep was running back and forth through their stream stirring up the mud. Soon they all slowly walked closer to the stream keeping a keen eye on the Jeep. Once they got the all clear moo from the bull they all “jumped” in and drank their fill. Sorry about that ladies!

1 comment:

Adam said...

wow that was some adventure! you can meet other geocachers in your area at http://mygeocachenation.com